Joomla! Annotated - May 2021
In this may edition of Joomla! Annotated, you can read about the latest release of Joomla and related extensions. As usual, we’ve curated a collection of Joomla-related articles, tools, videos, and streams to share with you.
📰 Official News
- Joomla 4 RC 1 and Joomla 3.10 Alpha 6 are here - Joomla 4.0 RC1 is aimed at extension and template developers. To encourage them to work with this release in order to prepare extensions for the stable release of Joomla! CMS 4.0.
- Joomla 3.9.27 Release - This is a security release for the 3.x series of Joomla which addresses 3 security vulnerabilities and contains more than 15 bug fixes and improvements.
- Joomla! and FLoC - Federated Learning of Cohorts (FLoC) proposes a new way for businesses to reach people with relevant content and ads. We explore what this could mean and why we are giving you the choice as to whether to use it or not.
- Marketing & Communications DC Replacement Election Results
- Marketing & Communications DC Replacement - the recommendation phase for the Marketing & Communications DC replacement role have been finalised. The recommendations from the Community are in. Included are their Manifestos and the timeline for the election for their role.
- Expenses Determined To Be Outside OSM Financial Policy
- Joomla is looking for Advisors - Following the 2017 and 2021 reforms of the Bylaws of Open Source Matters, the organization needs to appoint an Advisory Board and we would like to hear your suggestions and recommendations to help find the right people for such a role.
- Joomla Magazine the may issue
📋 Official Reports
- Volunteer Engagement Team: Meeting May 24 2021 - Budget Proposal For VET, Department Representatives & Onboarding Tasks
- Certification Program Team: Meeting May 2021 - Some team news, new exam platform, J!3 exam updates and dates of some upcoming events
- Community Magazine: Meeting May 27 2021 - May issue published on time
- Bug Squad: Meeting May 21 2021 - meeting was focused around the J4 RC release and various bugs still to resolve
- Operations: Meeting May 17 2021
🚀 Frameworks & Libraries
- Buf Template Framework - template framework for Joomla! 3 and 4(alpha) focused in optimizations and integrations.
- Joomlatools Framework [Updated] - Modern PHP extension framework (for Joomla)
- Gantry 5 [Updated] - Next Generation Template
- JoomlaTools Framework Files - This is a re-usable component that provides file management functionality for Joomlatools Framework
- FOF [Updated] - Rapid Application Development framework for Joomla!™ 3 and 4
- Astroid Framewor [Updated] - Powerful framework for designers and developers to create responsive, fast & robust Joomla based websites and templates.
- XT Laravel Starter for Joomla [Updated] - Laravel Lumen Boilerplate for Joomla
- jDump - Joomla Dump like on Laravel and can disabled built-in libraries Jquery, bootstrap, Mootools
- JComSkeleton - Skeleton for developing Joomla! Components
- JCB [Updated] - The Component Builder for Joomla is highly advanced tool that is truly able to build extremely complex components in a fraction of the time.
- DP Docker [Updated] - Docker tasks for Joomla extension development
- Joomlatools Gitpod - A super simple way to test drive Joomlatools-pages, straight from the browser.
- 🦁 Juumla [Updated] - python tool designed to identify and scan for version, config files in the CMS Joomla!
🔥 Recently Updated Extensions (Free)
- QA - A simple, yet effective, Joomla! captcha plugin that uses a question and answer method
- CharactersCounter - plugin that adds characters counter to some text and textarea fields in back-end.
- Minitek System Messages - An unobtrusive notification system for Joomla system messages.
- LittleHelper - Little Helper for Joomla helps administrators set up favicons, htaccess, robots.txt and features clean cache and empty trash
- Social Magick - an Open Graph Image generator plugin for Joomla 3 and 4
- TZ Portfolio Plus - An open source advanced portfolio extension for Joomla!
- Blank Page - All that this component does is display a blank page on the site that is attached to a menu item.
- Phoca Top Module - a Joomla! CMS module which displays horizontal top menu in Joomla! administration.
- AgAdvents - A Joomla Component not only for showing an advent calendar. You can display all sorts of image maps. It is responsive
- Responsive images for articles - A tiny content plugin that create a few different sized images on the fly and also update the markup to use the well established and supported HTML5 image tag srcset
- On a Diet - Disable Joomla Components, Plugins, Modules, Templates en masse
- FlexiContent CCK - Advanced content management system developed to greatly enhance the native article manager of Joomla! (com_content)
- Custom Tables - Allows you to add Tables, Fields and Layouts/Pages to create a catalog, edit form or details page and more !
🆕 New Extensions (Free)
- CoalaWeb Flair - Joomla extension that lets you display your flair from several StackExchange sites individually or combined into one.
- jDigest - This plugin implements digest access authentication scheme (RFC 2617 )
- TwoClickPrivacy - This Joomla!-Plugin hides embedded videos and reveales them only on click. This prevents the loading of third-party cookies to protect the users privacy.
- CF JSFiddle - Joomla! Custom Field to integrate JSFiddle into your Joomla articles
- Content Custom Filter - Custom fields filter plugin using Joomla! core features.
- Tags Filter - This Joomla 3.x module allows you to filter your category blog on a chosen tag. The module automatically shows all tags used in your articles for the articles that are published.
- 4LOGS - simple plugin that lets you manage all log files on your site. You can view, download or delete all log files produced by Joomla or extensions you are using.
- GoTo Admin Access - simple plugin that allows you to required a URL parameter in order access the Joomla administrator login page.
- WT SEO Meta templates - Plugin for using variables in the title and meta description tags. Allows you to use templates for the title tag and the description meta tag. Accepts data (including SEO templates ) from additional plugin providers.
- JLogs - A useful minimal Joomla! extension that helps to find and view the log files with errors right from your Joomla! admin interface. Get access to all your log files from one place.
🎨 Free Templates
- BioTerminal - Joomla! 4.x Terminal Style Landing Page
- Slot [Updated] - build on the CMS' own architecture, not against it...
- Lightning [Updated] - Joomla 4 template using HiQ CSS
- Master 3 Lite [Updated] - light version of a modern, convenient and flexible template for Joomla! 3, containing a strategic minimum of parameters necessary for the full-fledged operation of the template.
- Is Joomla Dead?
- Joomla SEO Checklist: 28 Tips To Rank in the SERPs
- Joomla Community Openings May 2021
- VSCode - Use it like a pro!
- Joomla scandal: OSM claims $37,000 was embezzled by former President
- Getting extensions ready for Joomla 4 - DJ-Extensions
- Getting extensions ready for Joomla 4 - Rüdiger Schultz
- Getting extensions ready for Joomla 4 - Sander Potjer
- How I learned Joomla - Abhishek Das
- Meet a Joomler - Laura Gordon
- GSoC 2021 - Candidates announced
- Joomla Blocks FLoC by Default, Drupal Moves to Block FLoC in Upcoming 9.2 Release
- Deploying Joomla! on OCI and MDS
- Explore the Core! Play with Custom Fields to enrich your content or your design
- Create a Joomla Module Showing All Articles With a Specific Tag
- How to Use the Joomla Private Messages Extension
- How to Redirect and Customize Login on Joomla Site
- Custom CSS Based on Joomla User Group - 👀 WMW 121
- Reset the CSS on Joomla Templates - 🛠 MM #189
- OSTips Can You Manage Your Joomla Site On An iPad?
- How to Add a File Type to the Media Manager in Joomla - 🛠 MM #188
- How To Test Users and Group Permissions in Joomla
- PHP is available on Google Cloud Functions
- PHP 7.4.19, PHP 8.0.6 – With a fix in PDO_pgsql.
- spatie/data-transfer-object v3 – Advanced typed data transfer objects for PHP 8.
- spatie/fork – A wrapper for pcntl_fork to simply and conveniently run PHP scripts in parallel. Learn more in this blog post and this video overview.
- phpbench/phpbench 1.0.0 – A useful tool for benchmarking your code. The new version has a lot of updates, including PHP 8 support. Learn more in Release Radar #10 with Dan Leech.
- rybakit/phpunit-extras – Custom annotations and
expect*()methods for PHPUnit to make tests cleaner.
- infection 0.23.0 – Mutation testing tool update, now with support for pestphp/pest.
- captainhookphp/captainhook – Git hooks management for PHP projects. For example, you can easily set up a style check or run tests before pushing to the repository.
- 0xABADCAFE/php-demo-engine – A demoscene engine in PHP that was just made for fun. Displays graphics with ASCII symbols in the console.
- Upgrading a Project to PHP 8.0 — A plan for the update and an account of the key potential difficulties when upgrading the codebase to 8.0.
- Do not mock what you do not own – Because if you don’t control the replaced dependencies, things can quickly get out of control.
- Named-entity recognition in PHP – An example of solving a simple ML problem using RubixML.
- Using exceptions and retries when working with network services.
- Algorithmic complexity (big O notation) of built-in PHP functions.
- A look into the most popular packages on Packagist and their licences – Many popular packages either do not have a license or have it set up incorrectly.
- Modern PHP with Rasmus Lerdorf – The father of PHP talks a little bit about Etsy code and PHP 8.
- Videos from Derick Rethans on Xdebug 3: Xdebug with Docker and PhpStorm in 5 minutes, Profiling with Xdebug in Docker, Debugging Unit Tests with PhpStorm on Linux.
🗣 Active Social Groups
- Facebook Groups:
- Youtube Channels:
- Basic Joomla Tutorials - The Basic Joomla Tutorials channel features Joomla tutorials and live streams